There is a significant anti-Valentine’s sentiment these days, which almost rivals the total love frenzy on February 14th.
Some people think Valentine’s Day has become too consumerist and we’re better off showing our loved ones we care on a day without the 200% mark-up on all things ‘romantic’. But did you know the day itself is steeped in interesting folklore and tradition?
- The most popular legend of the origin of Valentine's Day is that it began with Emperor Claudius II refusing to marry Romans during wartime. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings. For this, Valentine was jailed and executed. Yikes!
- Valentines Day was not always known to be romantic. It was probably first celebrated as a Catholic Saints Day (Saint Valentine). Antique Valentine 1909
- In Finland Valentine’s Day is called Ystävänpäivä, which translates to “Friend’s day”. It's more about remembering your besties than your loved ones.
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year. This makes it the second largest card sending time of the year after Christmas!
- In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card with your name. Often Illiterate people would sign their notes with a simple x instead of their name. This may be part of the reason x represents a kiss now!
Anyway, consumerist argument aside, we couldn’t resist getting into the romantic spirit.
Here, in no particular order is The Je'Suis List of Best-Tressed Couples...
1. Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz
2. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds
3. Romeo and Juliet AKA Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes
4. George and Amal Clooney
5. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
6. Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz
7. Victoria and David Beckham
8. (Okay so they aren’t a REAL couple, but look at that hair!)
Julia Roberts and Richard Gere
9. Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen
10. Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale